City Attorney

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Office of the City Attorney consists of the city attorney, one senior assistant city attorney, one assistant city attorney, three deputy city attorneys and support staff. The city attorney is appointed by the mayor and City Council.

City Attorney Cindie K. McMahon
Senior Assistant City Attorney Ronald Kemp
Assistant City Attorney Allegra Frost
Deputy City Attorney Gina Herrera
Deputy City Attorney Marissa Kawecki
Deputy City Attorney Jennifer True

About Us

As provided in Carlsbad Municipal Code Chapter 2.14, the city attorney is the chief legal officer of the city under the direction and control of the City Council; and also acts as legal counsel for the Carlsbad Municipal Water District and Redevelopment Agency. Among other things, the city attorney prepares or revises ordinances, is responsible for all litigation; makes recommendations for ordinances, resolutions or other documents or procedures affecting the legal position of the city; provides legal opinions; attends all meetings of the City Council, and other boards and commissions as necessary; reviews all contracts and instruments to which the city is a party; enforces city laws and regulations; and reviews and analyzes all state and federal legislation affecting the city.