The City of Carlsbad uses PlanetBids, a web-based bid management service, as an electronic plan room. Potential contractors, subcontractors and suppliers may view current projects, register as plan holders, view the plan holders list, download plans and specifications, receive addendum notices and obtain bid results. This information is available free of charge through the City of Carlsbad website. To be notified of new open bids, please go to PlanetBids and click on the New Vendor Registration tab and enter your information. If you need assistance, please contact PWContractAdmin@carlsbadca.gov.
For firms unable to download, plans and specifications are also available for a fee in printed/hard copy at the Faraday Center, located at 1635 Faraday Ave, or by completing the Request for Bid Package Form. Costs, including mailing fees, vary with the size of the project and are non-refundable. Checks are to be made payable to the City of Carlsbad.
New: The City of Carlsbad is now offering Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments, a secure, efficient way to transfer funds, such as vendor payments and employee reimbursements.
Please see the Electronic Payments handout for more information.
Vendors, please use the Vendor Direct Payment Authorization form to sign up for ACH payments.
Formal bids, those purchases of goods or services over $40,000, are publicly advertised, unless waived by the City Council.
- The legal newspaper of record for bids is the UT San Diego.
- Also Notices inviting bids are posted at City Hall.
- City public works projects, with estimated costs over $60,000, are listed with many local planrooms.
It is the policy of the City of Carlsbad to purchase and use recycled products except when such use negatively impacts health, safety or operational efficiency.
- A 15% preference, not to exceed $1,000 per contract, shall be given to recycled products.
- The preference percentage shall be based on the lowest bid or price quoted by the vendor or contractor offering non-recycled products.