If you have concerns about flooding, the city recommends stocking up on sandbags at local home improvement stores or online retailers. A limited supply of sandbags may be available at these city locations (Limited to 10 sandbags per household. Must show proof of Carlsbad residency.)
These locations have unfilled sandbags. Please keep in mind that it is illegal to take sand from the beach.
Streets Maintenance Division
405 Oak Ave.
M - F, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Fire Station 3
3465 Trailblazer Way
Fire Station 4
6885 Batiquitos Drive
Fire Station 6
7201 Rancho Santa Fe Road
*Note: Fire Stations will not have staff available to help with sandbags, but sandbags are available at all hours.
442-339-2980 during business hours
For after hours flooding or related emergencies, call 760-931-2197
For life threatening emergencies, call 9-1-1
How to use sandbags
- Read this brochure for step by step instructions or watch this video.
- Create a small dam or wall using sand bags to block or divert floodwater.
- As a general rule, you will need about 10 to 25 filled bags at a minimum for each area.
- Sandbags should be stacked similar to a brick wall, using a staggered pattern.
- Build your wall at least two bags high.
- Removing sand from the beach is illegal and harms the beach environment.
- Purchase sand from local nurseries and building supply companies.
- Filling bags with soil will not create an effective barrier.
- "Sandless sandbags” are also available online or at some home improvement stores.
Get more tips for staying safe during severe weather.