City Council Policy No. 88 specifies the appointment process for boards, commissions and committees.
To be considered, please submit an application to the Office of the City Clerk.
- In addition to the required annual announcement of planned vacancies, the Office of the City Clerk announces each vacancy, planned and unplanned, as it occurs throughout the year. Announcements are typically made 30 to 45 days prior to the vacancy.
- Announcements of all vacancies are made on the city website.
Deadlines for applications
- Applications are accepted year-round and remain valid through December 31 of each year.
- Applicants may submit an application each year if they would like to remain under consideration.
- To be considered for a specific planned or unplanned vacancy, and to allow sufficient time for interviews by Council Members, it is recommended that applications be received by the deadline specified by the Office of the City Clerk. This deadline is typically 30 days following the announcement of the vacancy.
City Council consideration
- When a vacancy occurs, whether planned or unplanned, the Office of the City Clerk notifies all City Council members and provides copies of all applications currently on file.
- Council members may choose to interview applicants, however that is done at their discretion and is not part of the process administered by the Office of the City Clerk.
- The Office of the City Clerk will place an appointment on the City Council agenda for consideration. This is typically not scheduled less than 30 days following the vacancy announcement. The staff report prepared by the Office of the City Clerk includes copies of all applications under consideration.
Once an applicant has been selected to serve, the Office of the City Clerk will schedule a meeting to administer the oath of office, schedule required ethics training and provide a statement of economic interest to be filled out and filed. The term begins once the member is sworn in.
If you would like more information or have questions about how to serve on a city board, commission or committee, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 442-339-2808.