Carlsbad, CAHome Menu
The City of Carlsbad engaged the community in a process called Envision Carlsbad, an intensive two-year process to identify the community’s hopes and aspirations for the future of their city. Since its adoption in 2010, the vision has been used to help guide City Council goals and other city decision making.
The Carlsbad Community Vision is made up of nine core values. The city checks in with the community on these values through surveys and meetings to make sure they still ring true and measure progress.
- Small town feel, beach community character and connectedness
- Open space and the natural environment
- Access to recreation and active, healthy lifestyles
- The local economy, business diversity and tourism
- Walking, biking, public transportation and connectivity
- History, the arts and cultural resources
- High quality education and community services
- Neighborhood revitalization, community design and livability
The Carlsbad Community Vision was created through workshops, public meetings, surveys, a citizens committee and other public engagement efforts involving thousands of community members from throughout Carlsbad. The nine core values of the Community Vision now guide city decision making, including the new General Plan, approved September 22, 2015, and city budget priorities.